Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Hard freezes for ferals

It has been so  cold for  so long....going on  two    weeks    of  night time temperatures  in the 20 degree range and daytimes only creeping into the 40's.  I ordered a pet barn for my semi feral "Rauder"  short for Marauder which he was when I had a doggy door and let the critters come and go as they pleased.  He would come at night to sleep in the Lanai and sometimes took to wandering into the main  parts of the house and "spraying" here and there.  I could track his visits by the odor. 
Now he comes to sleep on my patio,  from time to  time and was coming regularly until Friday when I tried to bring his chair in with him in it.  He awakened and freaked and ran away.  He was back Saturday and I had the good sense not to mess with him.  Then yesterday his Pet Barn came and I put it out by his chair with bedding.  No sign of him this morning.  I have also  ordered him a heatable gel pad but by the time it arrives the cold  snap will probably be over since the shipment seems to be hung up in Wisconsin.
I worry  about him much of the time.  Hopefully he has another warm spot, when he skips my place. I do live in a caring neighborhood.  

This 1st picture is Rauder leaving after a visit in 2011.  The next picture is Rauder back in his prime when he was coming into the Lanai to eat and sleep. 

 My guess is that he was abandoned when his people moved away.  For a long time though he did not  come on to the property that I knew of and then one morning he was there sleeping in the Lanai next to the big mouse which he did enjoy playing with.  He was very handsome back then in 2010 and 2011.  Now he has a torn off left ear, and a wound that healed and then reopened.  I did get him some antibiotics to treat that last spring.  His upper respiratory condition sounds worse than mine when I am experiencing rhinitis. He allows me to brush or pet him while he eats but does not want to be fenced in, so being alone, I have been unsuccessful in trapping and neutering and releasing. I  simply pray that he makes it through this weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment